Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457)


If you are a skilled worker wishing to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years, the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) may be the best visa option for you.

For this visa to be granted, you must be sponsored by an approved business. A business has the option to sponsor someone with this visa if they are unable to find an Australian citizen or Australian resident to complete particular skilled work.

To apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) you must:

  1. Be nominated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i).

You must work in a skilled occupation that has been approved by the Australian Government. The list of eligible occupations is available online and includes a number next to each occupation title. This number can be used to find a more detailed description of the qualification and experience requirements.

  1. Meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation.

You must show that you have the specific skills and necessary experience to work in the nominated occupation. If your nominated occupation is a trade occupation or is not specifically listed, you might need to complete a skills assessment.

  1. Meeting registration and licensing obligations.

If requested, you must provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that you hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation.

  1. Speak vocational English.

It is important that you can speak, write and understand a sufficient level of English while you are in Australia. English language proficiency is tested through:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS);
  • Occupational English Test (OET);
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT);
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test; or
  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test.
  1. Have been nominated by an approved business.

You must be nominated by a business that is approved by the Australian Government.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) Permanent Work Visa


If you are a skilled worker who wants to work in Australia, the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) may be the best option for you.

This specific visa involves a two-step process: nomination by an approved Australian employer and then an application under the nominated stream. You have to option of either being in Australia when applying for this visa or outside Australia when applying for this visa. If you are in Australia, you must be holding a substantive visa of bridging visa A, B or C.

This visa has three streams:

  • The Temporary Residence Transition stream for subclass 457 visa holders. This is for people who have worked for two years in the same occupation with their nominating employer, who wants to offer a permanent position in that occupation.
  • The Direct Entry stream. This is for people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream; who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia; or temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream.
  • The Agreement stream. This stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.

You can apply for this visa only after you have been nominated by your employer in Australia and must lodge your application within six months of the nomination being approved. You must apply for the visa in the stream and occupation in which your employer nominated you.